Friday, September 2, 2011

Berthe Morisot and Me

Ok, I somehow started this post and hit something and away it went and posted without the complete title or any words! Several years ago I read a book about the women Impressionists, I can't remember the title, Berthe Morisot has always been a favorite of mine, and I enjoyed reading about her. When I was in college my one art professor was an abstract painter, and I was a realist he was a friend of Jackson Pollock, and tried to get me to try more abstract in my paintings. Now I do like abstract paintings, but am still very much a realist, one who is trying new things, and always comes back to my love of the simple, ordinary everyday things. I love this quote from Berthe Morisot....." It is important to express oneself...provided the feelings are real and taken from your own experience" So, as I have been trying to figure out just where I am going this summer......I come right back to what I love, and Berthe expressed it very well! The Leeks and lacquer bowl were done in colored pencil. Hope everyone has a wonderful labor day weekend. Fall is definitely in the air. Look forward to hearing from you.

8 comments:

  1. Cissy, I am in awe of this beautiful, exquisite still life you have created using colored pencils! I love your composition and design, the arrangement of objects, and light and shadow. It keeps your eye moving and not wanting to stop looking. Love to know what size this is?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cissy, I love this painting-- the colors, the composition, the way the objects have breathing room--it is a fabulous painting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Carol and Susan, I really appreciate your comments. I guess I have a split personality......better just settle down and do one thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cissy, this is amazing! I can't believe this was done with colored pencils. The composition, light, and shadows are wonderful. Don't worry about settling down to do one thing . . . remember it's all part of the journey!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Linda. Painting is a great journey, isn't it.....just so many ideas and materials to try! I really appreciate your in put, thank you for taking the time to stop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. a very beautiful painting, Cissy : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. quite nice and well done. Enjoy your break!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary, actually I have taken quite a long break and will start posting soon. Had some health problems, and just had an operation, which has slowed me down considerably..... I am looking forward to getting back and painting, and can now see that it won't be too long. Hope all is well with you.

      Delete