Sunday, July 17, 2011

Garden memories, Robert Motherwell and Harriet Beecher Stowe......

A friend once told me that being an artist is a lonely business, because it is just you and the canvas. That is true to a point, I have been doing a lot of reading lately and came across an article about Robert Motherwell, he believed that he was just a channel, "you just have to let go, and the brush will stumble on what one couldn't do by oneself. " Harriet Beecher Stowe also believed that when she wrote Uncle Tom's Cabin, there was" another hand" that was there writing through her. She said in an interview that she never knew what was going to come next. 

After finding a photo I had taken of our granddaughter I decided to paint and let memory and the brush take over. It was a fun painting to do, there are still so many things I don't like.....too controlled, the colors are a bit off.......and on and on.....so it goes. Until the next time, any comments greatly appreciated, It is nice knowing that I am not alone, there are other artists out there doing the same thing. And, sometimes in the quiet of the studio, the painting does talk back, and the brush does know where to go..... until then I'll just keep painting.

4 comments:

  1. This is charming, Cissy! You have captured your granddaughter with a wonderful pose. It has a beautiful glow, and I like how you have painted the fence with the shadows and sunlight coming through. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This painting of the little girl have universal and timeless appeal, just like the stories of Harriet Beecher Stowe! Well done on the sunlight and shadows, Cissy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Marie and Linda, I really love having you stop by and give me your opinions, they mean so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cissy, I love how you caught her pose, as if something just caught your granddaughter's eye. I think the colors are wonderful! What medium did you use for this one?

    ReplyDelete